Breakfast-in-Bed Oat Cereal
I use a glass container with a snap lid. This square glass lock holds 3+ cups and is the perfect size for him. I use the 1.5 cup glass lock container when I make it for myself as I can't eat as large of a portion as he does. He burns a lot of calories!
How to make it:
- Start with 1 cup oatmeal flakes into the glass container. (adjust to your desired portion)
- Optional: Next I add in 2 Tablespoons of Integral Collagen powder to add protein and amino acids to his meal to start the day. It is a tasteless powder and combines best if stirred into the dry oats. If desired you could substitute a vanilla protein powder for this step...or just skip it.
- Then I add about a cup of frozen berries on top of the oatmeal. His favorite is blueberries (great brain food!) but you choose what you like best...and of course they can be fresh vs. frozen if they are available to you. I've even just used raisins if I was in a pinch and was out of frozen berries.
- These next toppings are all optional...add as you like...think about a good healthy start to the day:
1)chia or flax seeds
2)walnuts, sunflower seeds, or pecans
3)coconut chips (I use unsweeteened organic from Trader Joes)
4)pinch of cinnamon or apple pie spice
5)MCT Oil (great brain and body fuel to keep you going!)
- Cover it to soak: pour over all with your choice of raw milk, almond milk, coconut milk or whatever you call "milk" at your house! I cover the oats fully as they will soak all night and the liquid won't be there in the a.m. -- just soft soaked healthy cereal to start off the day.
- You might be stuck on starting your day with something sweet. My man has sworn off sugar (yep! he has a lot of discipline and cares about his health) so I add nothing to his B-I-B Oat Cereal. If you've gotta have it...try a healthier option like pure maple syrup, agave, sucanat or coconut sugar. If you are using granulated sugar, add it under the berries so it can combine with the oatmeal and disperse the sweetness. If you are using something like agave or honey then just drizzle it on the top as desired. You can even do this when you uncover it right before eating. Try using less and less as time goes by and soon you will be happy with sweetness of the berries and flavor of oats.
Here's to getting to sleep in and making healthy choices!
MarmeeDear & Company, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
- Martha Greene